Mortenson today announced the construction start of its second building in the Destination Medical Center (DMC) Discovery Square sub-district in Rochester. Designed to help foster life science research and innovation, Discovery Square 2 will build on the overwhelming success of One Discovery Square, which Mortenson opened in 2019. Groundbreaking on the new project is planned for late September 2020 with a target completion date in mid-2022.
“Discovery Square 2 will feature tech-forward tenant spaces designed with flexibility in mind,” said Brent Webb, development executive at Mortenson. “Developing a healthcare innovation campus with this facility increases the likelihood of and opportunity for collaboration between researchers, educators, clinicians, entrepreneurs, and others, it will help accelerate the translation of medical research from bench to bedside.”
The new building will be adjacent to One Discovery Square and the two buildings will have a physical link for tenants. Designed by RSP Architects, Discovery Square 2 will share the goal of providing an authentic urban experience that supports a unique environment for community amenities, collaborative culture and a one-of-a-kind innovative ecosystem.
“DMC’s Discovery Square strategy as a catalyst for economic development and recruitment of new businesses and talent to Rochester is unfolding in real time,” said Lisa Clarke, executive director, DMC Economic Development Agency. “The addition of Discovery Square 2 reinforces Rochester’s position as a global leader in health and a destination city for innovators and entrepreneurs.”
Discovery Square 2 will be the first building in Rochester designed for Wired Certification, a commercial real estate rating that ensures a building is optimized with superior tech capabilities for the connectivity needs of tomorrow. Wired Certification ensures strong internet connectivity to support current and future needs of tenants. Discovery Square 2 will be only the 11th building in Minnesota to achieve the certification.
• The 5-story, 125,000 square-foot facility next to One Discovery Square near the corner of 4th Street SW and 2nd Avenue SW in the 16-block Discovery Square sub-district
• Unique, integrated design with flexible, open workspaces and lab infrastructure that allow tenants to adapt to ever-changing needs in the life science industry
• Common spaces will be centralized within the building and share a physical link to One Discovery Square to promote collaboration among tenants
• Building orientation, massing, wall / roof construction, and mechanical systems will capitalize on high performing systems for increased energy efficiency
• Located near the historic Mayo Clinic campus and the Gonda Building, adjacent to Mayo Clinic’s Guggenheim, Hilton and Stabile Buildings
• Proximity to an entrepreneurial ecosystem for tech innovators and collaborators in Rochester
• Walking distance to the heart of Rochester’s Historic Southwest neighborhood and many downtown amenities, including restaurants, bars, coffee shops, retail and more
Colliers will serve as the leasing agent and oversee tenant recruitment in partnership with Mortenson, the DMC Economic Development Agency, and many others. Property leasing information is available through Louis Suarez, VP Healthcare Services with Colliers International | Minneapolis-St. Paul, at [email protected].