The Assistive Tech Challenge is a pitch competition presented by Destination Medical Center’s Discovery Square in collaboration with The Arc Minnesota Southeast Region, and the disABILITY Mayo Clinic Employee Resource Group to facilitate greater independence for individuals with disabilities and the daily challenges they face. The Challenge is also intended to strengthen their ability to live more independently and help reduce the direct support workforce crisis confronting communities in the region and across the United States.
The Assistive Tech Challenge seeks solutions to:
- Alleviating barriers to employment;
- Reducing the need for and/or easing the demands of direct support on care providers;
- Developing social skills that better enable people with and without disabilities to interact and cultivate meaningful relationships; and
- Improving access to the community through public infrastructure.
Saturday, November 3, 2018
Expo Hours: 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Assistive Tech Challenge Pitch Competition: 12 noon – 3:30 p.m.
Teams in two divisions – open (community-based teams and students) and professional (corporations formed with annual revenues not exceeding $250,000) – were formed to develop innovative Assistive Technology solutions that would allow people with visible and invisible disabilities to live more independently, engage in productive employment, and participate in community life.
Innovations in both personal technology and the public realm/public infrastructure were encouraged. Teams will address the following questions during a five-minute presentation to an expert panel of judges, followed by three minutes of Q&A:
- What problem are you solving?
- How are you solving the problem?
- Why is your team the one to solve it?
- What do you need to further develop your idea?
$15,000 will be awarded by The Arc Minnesota to the first and second place winners in each division to further advance their idea. First Place will receive $5,000. Second Place will receive $2,500.
All first and second place teams will be eligible to participate in the Walleye Tank pitch competition in Rochester, MN on December 7, 2018.
Special Thanks to: